Attorney Williams writes OpED on EB-5 Program, which was published by the Hill
March 7, 2019
Simone Williams moderated an International Trade and Business panel in Dakar, Senegal
July 4, 2018
Simone to appear on RealTalk with Dr. David Anderson on May 28th!
May 13, 2019
NEW LAWS FOR GREEN CARD HOLDERS TO TAKE EFFECT IN 2020
February 13, 2020
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is implementing new policies and rules that will affect green card holders or lawful permanent residents (LPR) starting this year.
The new green card rules for 2020 include:
• Failure to identify yourself an LPR on your taxes or accurately report your income may now lead to deportation. Note: If you use an accountant to prepare your taxes, he/she may assume you are a U.S. citizen. It is your responsibility to correctly identify yourself.
• Men between the ages of 18 and 25 who hold a green card must register with the U.S. Selective Service; failure to do so could lead to deportation (see www.sss.gov).
• The rules regarding “abandonment” of your permanent resident status will be stricter. An official rule has not yet been released, but please contact one of our attorneys if you plan to take a prolonged trip.
• The list of behaviors that constitute “crimes of moral turpitude” is being expanded. These behaviors may impact your eligibility for U.S. citizenship, and may even lead to deportation.
• If an LPR wants to apply for U.S. citizenship the application fee for U.S. citizenship is nearly doubling, from $640 to $1,170.
Read the full article, here.
For more information, please contact our attorneys.