top of page

Revised USCIS Form Allows Obtaining Work Authorization Document and Social Security Number Simultane

Based on a new information-sharing partnership between U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA), foreign nationals applying for work authorization in the United States may now use the updated form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to not only obtain a work permit (EAD), but also a social security number (SSN).

Previously, applicants needed to submit a Form I-765 to USCIS for an EAD, and then submit additional paperwork in-person at their local Social Security office to obtain an SSN. The revised USCIS form includes additional questions that allow applicants to apply for an SSN or replacement card without visiting a Social Security office.

From now on, applicants who receive their approved EADs from USCIS should also receive their Social Security card from SSA within the following two weeks.

Source: USCIS.

Featured Posts