top of page

R-1, Temporary Nonimmigrant 

Religious Workers

An R-1 is a foreign national who is coming to the United States temporarily to be employed as a minister or in another religious vocation or occupation at least part time (average of at least 20 hours per week) by:


  • A non-profit religious organization in the United States;

  • A religious organization that is authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption; or

  • A non-profit religious organization, which is affiliated with a religious denomination in the United States.


This visa program is intended for religious workers whose lives are dedicated to religious practices and functions, as distinguished from secular members of the religion.


To qualify, the foreign national must have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the United States for at least two years immediately before the filing of the petition.

bottom of page